Centralized Testing Service Improves the Flow of Technology
The world’s leading manufacturer, marketer and distributor of nearly 500 nonalcoholic beverage brands that employs more than 146,000 people world-wide and operates in more than 200 countries.
The client had noted vastly different levels of quality on projects delivered to the business. As a result, the client needed to leverage an independent, centralized testing service to provide consistent application of industry-standard terminology, processes, procedures and testing-tool usage across IT projects.
A team of MDI consultants was engaged to establish a verification and validation (V&V) testing service to be used by all projects across the enterprise. The team also created a testing tool for enhanced delivery of IT projects. Specific components of this solution included:
- The establishment of program and project-level services including program services management, vendor services management, services education, services engagement, project engagement, test planning, test execution, test closure and services closure
- The creation of more than 40 processes and deliverable templates ensuring consistent delivery to the project teams across the enterprise
- The development of a centralized testing scorecard used monthly via program services management
Within six months, the client realized a return on investment and ran the centralized testing service across more than a dozen projects of varying sizes. The project also included the roll out of industry-standard terminology and a formal testing policy. Specific benefits of the service included:
- Increased developer productivity by reducing the practice of conducting their own testing
- Reduction of support costs with the establishment of repeatable processes and procedures
- Elevated importance and awareness of testing as a mandatory and systematic activity
- Increased visibility into standard testing metrics with the monthly centralized testing scorecard
- Centralized repository of work products and consistent use of client’s testing management tool as an industry standard
- Labor rate savings in excess of $700,000